ENCALS centres connected to the European trial network TRICALS have agreed on the protocols for outcome measures in clinical trials. These were discussed in the TRICALS workshop on 21 and 22 of May 2016 in Milan. If you would like further information or if you have or need a translation of an SOP or questionnaire, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
E-modules for training
For ALS-FRS-R, respiratory measurement and muscle strength, e-learning modules are available for all who are working at an ALS centre connected to TRICALS. If you would like to request access to these, please email email@example.com.
- ALS Functional Rating Scale Revised- fill in form
- ALSFRS SOP ENCALS presentation
- ENCALS SOP for ALSFRS-R v1.2
The SOP for respiratory measurement has been discussed in the TRICALS workshop in May 2016 and will be further improved over the coming year. If you have any comments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Isometric Strength Testing
- TRICALS_Protocol Isometric Strength Testing 2016
- TRICALS_Score form Isometric muscles strength testing 2016
- Quick reference Isometric Strength Test Protocol – Supine position_ENG
- Quick reference Isometric Strength Test Protocol – Supine position_FR
- Quick reference Isometric Strength Test Protocol – Supine position_IT
ECAS stands for Edinburgh Cognitive and Behavioural ALS Screen. ECAS is a brief, 15–20 minute, assessment of a range of cognitive and behavioural changes, designed specifically for people with MND. It makes cognitive assessment faster and more accessible as it can be used in the clinic or a patient’s home.
Please visit the ECAS website for the ECAS, the ECAS guidelines and training material.
For German and Swiss ALS centres a German guideline for ECAS, as well as the German and soon Swiss German Version of the ECAS are available.
Reference: Balendra R, Jones A, Jivraj N, Steen IN, Young CA, Shaw PJ, Turner MR, Leigh PN, Al-Chalabi A; UK-MND LiCALS Study Group, Mito Target ALS Study Group. Use of clinical staging in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis for phase 3 clinical trials. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2015;86(1):45-9. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2013-306865.
Several courses have been successfully held in St.Gallen and during ENCALS meetings. Munix has become a standard outcome measure within Europe to follow demise of motor neurons in ALS patients. Its greatest advantage is that MUNIX can be performed on proximal and distal muscles within a short amount of time allowing to get a “ body scan” of surviving motor units. Longitudinal MUNIX measurements are part of the European SOPHIA project and are expected to be soon applied in clinical trials. For further information contact email@example.com
- Neuwirth C, Nandedkar S, Stålberg E, Barkhaus PE, Carvalho Md, Furtula J, van Dijk JP, Baldinger R, Castro J, Costa J, Otto M, Sandberg A, Weber M. Motor Unit Number Index (MUNIX): reference values of five different muscles in healthy subjects from a multi-centre study. Clin Neurophysiol. 2011 Sep;122(9):1895-8
- Neuwirth C, Nandedkar S, Stålberg E, Barkhaus PE, Carvalho Md, Furtula J, Dijk JP, Baldinger R, Castro J, Costa J, Otto M, Sandberg A, Weber M. Motor Unit Number Index (MUNIX): a novel neurophysiological marker for neuromuscular disorders; test-retest reliability in healthy volunteers. Clin Neurophysiol. 2011 Sep;122(9):1867-72