The 15th ENCALS meeting 2017 was held in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, from Thursday 18th to Saturday 20th of May. More than 300 scientists and clinicians who are working to find a cure for ALS/ MND attended. The ENCALS board would like to thank dr. Blaž Koritnik, neurologist at the Ljubljana University Medical Centre, for organizing this great conference.
Plenary speakers for the ENCALS 2017 meeting in Ljubljana:
- Prof. Jernej Ule (London, UK)
- Dr. Federica Agosta (Milan, Italy)
- Dr. Russell McLaughlin (Dublin, Ireland)
- Dr. Thomas Bak (Edinburgh, UK)
- Dr. Janine Kirby (Sheffield, UK)
- Prof. Olivier Hermine (Paris, France)
The recordings of all the talks will be available on videolectures.net/encals2017_ljubljana/
Oral platform presentations
Oral platform presentations should be no more than 15 mins in total, including time for questions. Please ensure that your presentation is in a PowerPoint compatible format and that you bring to the meeting your talk and any related movies / animations / videos on a USB memory stick so that it can be uploaded onto the venue AV system before the meeting starts each day.
Registration (for both established researchers and PhD students) includes:
- Participation at all ENCALS lectures and access to the exhibition area
- Congress bag including programme booklet
- ENCALS Dinner on Friday evening (20.00 at the Festival Hall, Vilharjeva street 11. Bus transfers leave from Cankarjev dom at 19.30. Bus transfer back to the Cankarjev dom will also be available.
- Lunch at the exhibition area on Thursday and Friday
- Coffee at the exhibition area during the breaks
- The Thierry Latran meeting for researchers upon invitation
- The Health Care Practitioners forum for nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists and other health care practitioners in ALS/ MND
- The TRICALS workshop on outcome measures will be hosted after the ENCALS meeting for participants from registered TRICALS centers.
Hotels in Ljubljana
Hotels in Ljubljana are easily accessible from the airport, since it is only 25 km from Jože Pučnik Airport to the city centre. Ljubljana has railway and bus stations located in the heart of the city. All hotels are centrally located.
Accommodation is available via www.booking.com/Ljubljana-Hotels
Here is a list of hotels in Ljubljana with the walking distance from the meeting venue:
- Hotel Slon Best Western (5 mins walking distance) www.hotelslon.com
- City Hotel (10 mins) www.cityhotel.si
- Park (15 mins) www.hotelpark.si
- Hotel Mrak (3 mins) http://hotelmrak.si/en/
- Hotel Cubo (3 mins) www.hotelcubo.com/en
- Antiq Palace Hotel (5 mins) www.antiqpalace.com
- Hotel Emonec (5 mins) www.hotel-emonec.com
- Grand Hotel Union Business (10 mins) www.union-hotels.eu/en/grand-hotel-union-business
- Grand Hotel Union (10 mins) www.union-hotels.eu/en/grand-hotel-union
- Hotel Lev (10 mins) www.union-hotels.eu/en/hotel-lev
- Vander Urbani Resort (10 mins) www.vanderhotel.com/eng
- Hotel Center (10 mins) www.hotelcenter.si
- B&B Slamič (10 mins) http://slamic.si
- Central Hotel (15 mins) www.union-hotels.eu/en/central-hotel
- Hotel Galleria (15) www.hotelgalleria.eu
- Adora Hotel (15 min) www.adorahotel.si
- Hotel Meksiko (25 min) www.hotel-meksiko.si
- Hotel Asteria (25 min) www.hotel-medno.si/en/hotel-asteria
- Hostel Celica has many affordable 1 and 2- bedrooms (25 min) www.hostelcelica.com/en
Travel to Ljubljana
Ljubljana is best served by its International Airport at Brnik (Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport), 23 km northwest of the city, with daily connections to most major European cities. From the airport, Ljubljana can be easily reached either by bus shuttle service to Ljubljana bus station (approx. EUR 10) or by taxi (approx. EUR 40).
There are direct flights to Ljubljana from: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Belgrade, Birmingham, Brussels, Budapest, Copenhagen, Dublin, Frankfurt, Istanbul, London, Manchester, Moscow, Munich, Ohrid, Paris, Podgorica, Prague, Pristina, Rome, Sarajevo, Skopje, Tirana, Vienna, Warsaw, Zurich.
There are cheap airlines flying to Ljubljana:
- Easyjet (London Stansted and London Gatwick): www.easyjet.com/en/cheap-flights/slovenia/ljubljana
- Wizzair (London Luton and Brussels Charleroi): wizzair.com/en-gb/information-and-services/destinations/city-guides/getdestination/ljubljana#/
- A new cheap flight option from Amsterdam to Ljubljana, starting from April 2017: www.transavia.com/en-EU/destinations/slovenia/ljubljana/
Transfers from the Ljubljana airport and the other airports to Ljubljana centre can be booked on www.goopti.com
You may also find it convenient to use one of the neighbouring airports such as:
- Trieste (Italy), 128 km southwest of Ljubljana
- Klagenfurt (Austria), 90 km north of Ljubljana
- Zagreb (Croatia), 141 km southeast of Ljubljana
To find trips in and around Ljubljana please see www.visitljubljana.com/en/visitors/tours-and-trips/
For more information on Ljubljana, visit www.visitljubljana.si
Internet: Wireless internet will be avaliable at the conference venue.
Money Exchange: The Slovenian legal tender is EUR. Foreign currency may be exchanged at banks, exchange offices, travel agencies, hotels, airports and railway stations.
Automatic Cash Dispensers: Automatic cash dispensers accepting Visa, Eurocard/Mastercard, American Express credit cards and Maestro Cirrus are situated at all main banks in Ljubljana and also at Ljubljana Airport.
Credit Cards: All major credit cards, such as American Express, Visa, Eurocard/Mastercard, Diners, are widely accepted in hotels, restaurants, and shops.
Electricity: Electricity in Slovenia is 220V, 50Hz. Continental Europe (Schuko) plugs are used.
Drinking Water: Tap water is safe to drink in Slovenia.
Time: European summer time, one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).