The ENCALS meeting 2018 will be hosted in Oxford from Wednesday 20 to Friday 22nd of June.
Local organizers are Prof. Kevin Talbot, Prof. Martin Turner and Lynn Ossher, PhD.
The location is the Nelson Mandela Lecture Theatre in the Said Business School, Park End Street in Oxford.
The abstract submission deadline has passed (March 10). More than 200 abstracts were submitted. All abstracts have now been sent to the programme committee for review.
Registration is now open. Please register via the registration form of Oxford university. There is a strict maximum number of 320 registrations due to limited seats at the venue. Therefore, please register early!
For any questions regarding registration, please contact the local organizers via ENCALS@ndcn.ox.ac.uk.
Early bird fee ends on 3 April
- Established Researchers: €245/ £220
- PhD students: €175/ £160
- Industry: £420
- Each ENCALS centre is entitled to one free registration for a PhD student. Please email the name, centre affiliation and diet wishes of this PhD student to firstname.lastname@example.org
Late registration after 3 april
- Established Researchers: €300/ £280
- PhD students: €230/ £220
- Industry: £500
Registration closes April 15th 2018. On site registration will not be possible.
Registration (for both established researchers and PhD students) includes:
- Participation at all ENCALS lectures and poster sessions
- Programme booklet
- Lunch on Wednesday and Thursday
- Coffee/ thee during the breaks
- Food and refreshments during the poster sessions on Wednesday and Thursday
The ENCALS conference dinner is on Thursday June 21th in Keble College’s dining hall. It is about a 20 minute walk through the centre of Oxford from the Said Business School to Keble College. There are limited tickets for this dinner because of the max. number of people at this location. Please register timely for the ENCALS meeting to ensure that you can include a ticket for the dinner with your registration.
Satellite and side meetings
- The Thierry Latran meeting for researchers upon invitation in the Said Business school on Tuesday June 19th 2018
- The Health Care Practitioners forum for nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists and other health care practitioners in ALS/ MND on Thursday 21st of June 2018
- The TRICALS workshop on outcome measure assessment will be hosted after the ENCALS meeting for participants from registered TRICALS centers Friday 22nd & Saturday 23rd of June 2018
Posters should be printed size A0 PORTRAIT or max. 95 cm (width) by 140 cm (height). Please note that landscape posters will not fit on the posterboards. Materials to fix the poster (double stick tape) to the posterboard will be provided at the registration desk. Please stand by your poster during your poster session in the programme.
All posters with a PhD student as first & presenting author will be reviewed by members of the award committee for the PhD poster award. Therefore, all PhD students presenting a poster are requested to attend the PhD poster award session at the last day of the conference.
ENCALS provides a max. of 5 travel grants for young qualified researchers to attend the ENCALS meeting in Oxford. The aim is to encourage participants from underrepresented countries. The travel grant amount is up to a maximum of 500 Euros, based on actual travel expenses.
Read more about application.
Travel to Oxford
Oxford is 56 miles (90km) north-west of London, with excellent bus and rail services.
The Park End Street Saïd Business School venue is located in Oxford city centre and therefore we recommend using public transport where possible. The easiest way to visit the School is by train as it is located directly adjacent to Oxford rail station. For Sat Nav devices, the Saïd Business School suggests using OX1 1HP.
Oxford offers an excellent Park and Ride system, with 5 sites providing excellent access into the city centre by bus. Visit the Park and Ride website for more information.
There is a regular coach service from London Heathrow and Gatwick airports to Oxford city centre. From Heathrow Airport there is a fast train link to London Paddington which connects directly with services to Oxford. Taxis are available at the Gloucester Green Bus Station or from the Oxford Rail Station, though both of these locations are a located only few minutes from the Saïd Business School on foot.
Oxford is a popular destination, and low-cost accommodation is not the easiest to find – book early, especially if your budget is limited.
- Macdonald Randolph Hotel – This hotel is a 10 minute walk from the conference. On-site parking is available for £28.50 per night (pre-booking necessary).
- Old Parsonage Hotel – This hotel is a 15 minute walk from the conference. (Very) limited on-site parking available.
- Old Bank Hotel – This hotel is a 15 minute walk from the conference. 40 parking spaces available for hotel guests.
- Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel – This hotel is a 20 minute walk from the conference. Paid (public) parking space is limited.
- Holiday Inn – This hotel is 3 miles from the conference. There is free on-site parking. There are buses every 10 minutes into town.
- Best Western Linton Lodge Hotel – This hotel is a 15 minute bus ride from the conference. Free parking on site.
- Cotswold Lodge Hotel – This hotel is a 15 minute bus ride from the conference.
Wheelchair-equipped rooms available
- Holiday Inn Oxford at the Peartree Roundabout.
- Premier Inn – This hotel is 3 miles from the conference. There is free on-site parking. The bus stop into town is a 10-minute walk away.
- Travelodge – There are 3 Travelodges around Oxford, situated 2.5-6 miles from the conference. Parking is free/free-but-limited/available but paid, depending on the site. There are buses into town.
- Student Rooms – Accommodation in University Colleges. Mostly within walking distance from the conference, but there are also plenty of buses. There is usually no parking available.
There are also many small B&B’s and Guest houses across Oxford. These are not included here because of the limited number of available rooms, but these can easily be found via regular search engines. Prices start from ~£65 for an ensuite room.